30 governments are influencing democracy online | Engadget Today
Governments are mass producing online content to distort the truth.
Political mudslinging is a concept as old as politics itself, but in recent years it’s found its way off the podium and onto the internet, and a new report now shows the extent of the problem. According to findings from Freedom House, governments in no less than 30 countries are now “mass producing their own content to distort the digital landscape in their favor”. Furthermore, these manipulation efforts may have affected elections taking place in 18 countries.
Subscribe to Engadget on YouTube: http://engt.co/subscribe
Get More Engadget:
• Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/engadget
• Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/engadget
• Follow us on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/engadget
• Add us on Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/add/engadgetHQ
• Read more: http://www.engadget.com
Engadget is the definitive guide to this connected life.